so we survived the first real snowstorm in minneapolis last night. personally, i celebrated this morning by getting my front left tire replaced on my car, drinking a comically large cup of coffee, and dicking around on the internet while listening to the bon iver album.
i will also make this soup later today. its definitely a ~*spring*~ flavor but i don't care and i tend to make it all winter long. it's especially good with a craggy piece of buttered sourdough bread, but i am not going to tell you how to live your life.
lemon dill soup
4 cups homemade chicken stock
1/4 cup orzo pasta
juice of 3 lemons
4 egg yolks
salt & pepper to taste
feta cheese & olive oil [to top, optional but good]
- in a large saucepan, add the homemade stock and bring to a boil
- while you are waiting for the broth to boil, in a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice until frothy
- when the stock hits a boil, add in the orzo and cook to al dente [6-8 minutes] and bring down to a simmer
- take a ladle and remove about a 1/2 cups worth of hot broth, and whisk into the lemon egg mixture
- add the mixture back to the stock pot and stir everything together - leave to simmer for 5 more minutes
- serve with sprigs of fresh dill, a handful of sheeps milk feta, and a drizzle of olive oil